So I decided to make these nutribites because I love those breakfast bars but they are a bit expensive for what you actually get in a packet…..If you make them yourself you get lots and lots for half the price hehe
This is a really tasty recipe and great for a snack to take in a lunch box or even warmed with a dollop of ice cream or custard on top as a dessert. (Vegan ice cream is so easy to find in supermarkets now and alpro make vegan custard)
1 & 1/2 cups regular oats
1 cup of a mix of white and whole wheat
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds+ 4 tbsp warm water, mixed and set aside)
just over 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (i use pure spread)
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
2 tbsp any plant milk
1 tbsp sesame seeds (for topping only)
1 tbsp dry shaved coconut
organic strawberry conserve (jam) you can use any jam you like.
punnet of strawberries, washed hulled and chopped / sliced
small handful oats to top
1. Preheat oven to 350F/gas 4. Line a square pan with greaseproof paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix all the oaty base dry ingredients: oats, flour, sugar, bicarb and salt….. In a small pot mix the butter, syrup, milk until melted, remove from heat and allow to cool a little then add the chia egg.
3. Combine wet and dry base ingredients in the large bowl until thoroughly smooshed together (technical term lol)
4. Pour the oat mixture onto the square pan and press down with fingers…make sure your hands are wet to smoosh the mixture into the pan it stops the mixture sticking to your fingers….Pour on strawberry jam and smooth out….then lay your chopped strawberries over the top.
5. Now sprinkle on your sesame seeds and coconut and finish off with a handful of porridge oats on top too.
6. Bake for around 30-40 minutes then remove, set aside to cool before removing from the tray (about 30mins)
Slice and then store in a container in the fridge to keep them nice and firm or serve them warm with ice cream.